Auto accidents are unexpected and stressful. Even the most careful drivers may get into an accident. The following steps will make sure that your rights are protected after an accident with a negligent or careless driver:
1. Stay as calm as possible.
2. Call the police, even if the accident is minor.
4. If the accident is minor and there are no serious injuries, consider moving your car to a safe place, out of hazardous traffic.
5. Turn on hazard lights. If warranted and possible, use cones, warning triangles or flares for safety.
6. Make immediate notes about the accident, including the specific damages to all vehicles involved. Get witness information, if possible.
7. Be polite, but don’t tell the other driver or the police that the accident was your fault, even if you think it was. Likewise, do not accuse the other driver of being at fault at this time. Everyone is usually shaken up immediately after an accident, and it is wise to state only the facts. Limit your discussion of the accident with the police. Be accurate.
8. If you have a camera handy, and it is safe to do so, it may be helpful to photograph the accident scene and the involved automobiles.
9. If possible, do not leave the accident scene before the police officers and other driver leave.
10. Remember that while getting the facts is important, investigating the accident should be left to police officers and potentially your attorney.
11. Seek medical treatment at an emergency room or other medical facility as soon as possible after the accident. It is very important to document your injuries from the accident, even if all you have is aches and pains.
12. Notify your insurance agent about the accident.
13. Do not talk to the insurance company or an insurance adjustor for the other driver. You may say something inadvertently which will hurt your claim.
14. Don’t sign any document, unless ordered by the police to do so.
15. Contact a personal injury attorney at Vanden Heuvel & Dineen, S.C. to schedule a FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION 1-800-805-1976 or 262-250-1976 or email email@example.com. Click here for a FREE ONLINE EVALUATION of your case.