The parent of a child can consent to terminate their parental rights. However, the Court generally will not grant the request unless another person (i.e. a step-parent) is there to take the place of the birth parent. For example, if you have a spouse, that individual would petition the Court for a step-parent adoption to take the place of the birth mother