A Social Security statement containing both an estimate of benefits and a record of earnings is available online and by mail. To obtain the statement online create a social security shutterstock_163858331Social Security account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount/. This account permits a person to manage personal information such as address change, etc. In order to receive the statement by mail, fill out form SSA-7004 (Request for Social Security Statement) which is available at www.ssa.gov or by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. A statement of total wages credited to the earnings record and an estimate of future Social Security retirement benefits will then be mailed to you.

For further information and assistance with elder law or retirement questions, contact Attorney Lisa M. Vanden Heuvel at www.vhdlaw.com or 1-800-805-1976.