In Wisconsin, a minor or adult who is a residence of the state may on petition to the circuit court of the county where he or she resides and on filing a copy of appropriate notice, with proof of publication, if no sufficient cause is shown to the contrary, shall have his or her name changed.  If the person is under the age of 14, the petition may be made by both parents or the guardian or person having legal custody of the minor if both parents are dead or the parental rights of both parents have been terminated or the minor’s mother if the minor is a nonmarital child and is not adopted or his parents do not subsequently marry each other or if paternity of the minor has not been established.