If you have been injured in an accident, there are a number of rules that you should follow in order to obtain the best possible resolution of your claim. These do’s and don’ts apply after you have left the accident scene:
- Take photographs of your vehicle before you get it repaired. Try to use a camera as opposed to your cell phone, if at all possible.
- Keep a record of your medical care. Save all prescription bottles, casts, splints, etc.
- Take photographs of your injuries. These “selfies” may be valuable evidence for your future claim.
- Save all receipts for any expenses related in any way to your accident or injury.
- Make a list of all potential witnesses to the accident, including addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.
- Do not give any statements–written, recorded, email, verbal, to anyone concerning your accident or injuries, with the exception of your attorney.
- Do not admit fault.
- Do not put photos of your accident on Facebook or talk about your accident on any social media.
- Do not wait to visit the hospital or the doctor after your accident. Do not hold back any information about the severity of your injury. This is not the time to put on a “macho” front. This is the time to be truthful. If it hurts, advise the doctor, nurse or physician’s assistant. Don’t be afraid to be considered wimpy.
- If you don’t remember something, say so. Do not avoid the facts. If you have had prior injuries and the physician, nurse or physician’s assistant asks you for that information, it’s best to tell the truth. Do not embellish.
- Follow your doctor’s advice.
- Keep a record of any lost time from work and wages.
- Keep a log of your day-to-day pain from your injuries. What limitations do you have as a result of your accident? Does it hurt to pick up the laundry basket? Are you having trouble sleeping because of pain in your shoulder? These are the types of things to remember. They may be helpful in the future.
- Contact a top-rated personal injury attorney. Find an AV-rated attorney listed at Martindale.com or on Avvo.com.
- Contact Vanden Heuvel & Dineen, S.C., members of the Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
If you have any additional questions, call 1-800-805-1976 for a free evaluation and consultation relative to your case.